Telethon Inc is a South Australian not-for-profit organisation which has supported South Australian charities since 1960.
From supporting just one charity through an on-air appeal, several through a "Miss Telethon" quest and a competition known as "The House of Hope", Telethon SA today supports in excess of 20 not-for-profit organisations annually. These organisations are large and small charities which often receive little or no other support.
Providing a range of fully managed projects and events in which charities can participate to raise funds, with no financial risk, Telethon SA is unique in South Australia and possibly Australia.
In addition through the "Spirit of South Australia" unit, Telethon SA provides one-off grants to individuals, families and groups. To date funds raised from a program of special events and projects have provided grants for such things as:
- computers for children living with cancer;
- assistance to set up a literacy and numeracy program for people with intellectual disabilities;
- equipment for people living with Motor Neurone disease;
- camps for children who are disadvantaged and/or have suffered abuse;
- financial assistance for a child living with Cerebral Palsy to undergo specialised surgery in America;
- support for families travelling interstate for their child's life saving heart surgery.
Telethon SA endorses and supports ethical fundraising.